Pages

Monday 14 February 2011

Still getting fitter - 3rd in Chiltern League XC

This past week was all about getting a solid seven days under my belt and I did that, with 98 miles banked towards the London Marathon in nine weeks, and another very pleasing race performance.


I planned to go into the weekend's Chiltern League at Wing with some miles in the legs - I wanted to race tired. I actually felt very good and used 22 years experience to let 30 or so guys tear off for the first 600m as the race started at the top of a hill. I then spent over five miles picking them off one by one to finish strong and full of running in 3rd behind fellow Bedford & County AC runners Rob Heaney and my mate and winner Matt Janes.
I was 12th in the last fixture four weeks ago at Luton so the fitness is flooding back to me now.

The going was heavy and the entry/exits into the fields were especially muddy. I didn't find this too much of a problem and just got my head down and worked through it.

This winter I've enjoyed running on the mud and this race was no exception, I just kept getting stronger and stronger. A great sign ahead of next weekend's National XC where I am aiming for my highest finish in the event. As well as this, I'll be aiming to be top six for Bedford & County AC, who will be looking to get in the team rostrum. I'm liking the idea of a AAAs medal, regardless of the colour.

My last appearance in the National saw me finish 98th and 7th scorer in 2009 so I missed a team medal then and I was sick with the run. I want top 50 in the main field this time - I've had a proper XC season since Christmas with some key sessions on the mud so I'm much more confident than previous years where I've just stepped off the road and been clobbered by the conditions.

My first ever race
Chiltern League Dec 1989
The Chiltern XC League is a league I have been running since December 1989, when I made my first showing in the vest of Dacorum AC at Watford. I was dead last and finished in tears. I really owed it to my Dad to race it as he bought me a new pair of Reebok spikes and I couldn't say no after that. I remember plodding up through Cassiobury Park fighting tears with polite claps ringing in my ears. God knows how I carried on in the sport.

I've run in the Chiltern League on and off ever since, and my early results in the Youth races are all on the Chiltern League website. I'm not sure many other guys starting the race this past weekend have been racing the Chiltern League as long as I have!

Training-wise I've banged in a solid 98 miles this week and am well up for the weeks ahead.

Mon - 11.25 miles with Janesy easy after yesterday's Watford Half - 75 mins (11.25)
Tues - AM 5.1 miles, PM 2 mile warm up, 2 mile warm down - 6 x 1200m on grass off 80 secs recovery (3.44, 3.45, 3.47, 3.48, 3.48, 3.48) got more tired as it went on - had Watford Half in my legs (14)
Wed - AM 6.4 miles easy 43 mins, PM 8.25 miles steady 52 mins (14.5)
Thurs - 10.5 miles just over 64 mins, felt good (10.5)
Fri - AM 6.4 miles easy, PM 8.25 miles easy (14.5)
Sat - 2 miles warm up, Chiltern XC at Wing - 3rd - felt great - out for 33:52 - Janesy won in 32:25, 5 miles warm down with Janesy - felt dizzy afterwards so forced a Mars bar down with a cup of tea and was fine (11)
Sun - 22 miles with Janesy in 2:26 - running and talking before Janesy ran home another couple of miles (22)

98 Miles