Pages

Monday 16 April 2012

Rotterdam Marathon 2:22.52

DESPITE not running a personal best in Rotterdam (in terms of actual time), I consider this my best marathon to date.

I haven't updated the blog since my half marathon at Bath five weeks ago because I wanted to keep my training to myself. Things had been going really well leading up to Bath. I had only really commenced proper training at Christmas and I was getting fitter by the day during January and February. I had learnt some hugely important lessons from last year, so I was prepared to start my Rotterdam build up 'unfit' in the hope that by April time I was still getting fitter and still full of running.

That is exactly what happened. I wanted to keep a cap on my mileage, and ensure I was mentally and physically fresh for the training I had planned. I rarely suffered a tired day of training in the weeks before Rotterdam, and my key runs and sessions were bang on what I wanted.

I'd managed to plan my Rotterdam weekend perfectly with a hotel yards from Central Station and a short walk to the start line where the 'fast runner' tents were. I wanted to fly out on the Saturday so I got to Rotterdam mid-afternoon. I was travelling alone so didn't want to be hanging around in Rotterdam longer than I needed to. It also meant I could take a short run on the morning before the race and have breakfast at home without having to rush around.

In Toronto I had valued being around other runners, but coupled with the long flight and the nagging doubts about my training, the three days in the race hotel before race day (in hindsight) unnerved me. I much prefer to be alone in the days leading up to the race like I did for this race, and at home in familiar surroundings until the last minute.

Those last two weeks of training were brilliant and gave me huge confidence for the race. Two weeks out from the race I ran really strongly over 20 miles, much better than prior to any other marathon I've done. The next day I reflected on the work I'd put in the bank and knew I could make a significant withdrawal on that work once I got to race day.

In fact, all of my long runs were very encouraging. I was tending to get quicker in the later stages of lonely runs around the Bedfordshire countryside. My two half marathon races went to plan, I felt good in both. Two really solid outings, always with an eye on the big goal come April.

One of my other aims, and a real reason for choosing an overseas marathon rather than London again, was that I wanted to pull on the England vest I was given for Toronto and race well in it. I didn't want that vest rolled up at the back of a drawer. I wanted to get out and sweat hard in it on the way to a solid marathon performance.

The two week taper went well and ten days out a 5km rep session was beyond what I expected. I ran two of the Bedford Park Run 5km course efforts with a five minute jog. 16:07 and 16:03 and I felt comfortable. Really comfortable. My other runs were getting quicker with no greater effort as my body started to get stronger and adapt to the miles I had exposed it to.

In the seven days before race day the weather was being forecast as windy - anything from 15-20 mph winds were being forecast. I really had started to think in terms of a PB at Rotterdam - a sizeable chunk off it as well. My mental state was spot on and I was looking forward to the effort. The wind was a minor distraction to be honest.

I spent the final few days resting, working from home, eating plenty of carbs and drinking plenty of water. My last few easy runs felt fantastic and I was holding myself right back at 6:30 pace. I'd tried to spend as much time indoors doing nothing so I'd be a coiled spring come race day. My only exception to this was a ten mile outing on the Tuesday with two quick miles in the middle at 5:07 and 5:22. I was trying to throttle back on the 5:22, saving something for five days later.

My mate Kevin Skinner was also down for Rotterdam and was looking for a sub 2:20 run - something he is very capable of from his half marathon best. I'd finished just over a minute behind Kev at the Wokingham Half Marathon back in February. His inclusion in the field was good for me and as the race unfolded we became very involved in each other's race.

The 'fast runner' set-up at Rotterdam really is perfect. It's not luxury by any standard, but then it doesn't need to be as we're running a marathon. It just needs to be convenient. This was all we needed. It was right on the start and finish line and we could leave our bags there and get some refreshments afterwards. There was ample toilets. We were right at the front.

I sat in a Pizzeria Restaurant the night before, surrounded by smart looking Dutch people ready for a nice evening out, whilst I was in the corner on my own in my running gear eating the final meal. Pizza worked before London, it'd work before Rotterdam. I strolled back to the hotel and sat on the bed watching BBC1 before dozing off to some music.

I slept really well, and woke up feeling sleepy before a coffee, croissant, PSP22 and Power Bar in the hotel restaurant. I went back to my room and sat on the bed until 9am. The race started at 1030am. I checked out and sauntered over to the start. It was nippy enough for gloves. After navigating my way into the 'fast runner' start area, I pushed the flap open and in the darkness could make out Kev at the back of the room sitting alongside Aussie legend Lee Troop (in town to do some pace making).

Me and Kev chatted the next few minutes away before having a little jog (which was limited with the space). I didn't really want much of a warm up - I'm sure you don't need it for a marathon. I'd rather not be too warmed up for the gun as I want to conserve through 5km.

I was well hydrated and poised as we were sent on our way. The first few yards were spent checking my steps and weaving around a few runners before finding a clear run. I felt good. Really good. I was going to hold back and see what the first 5km split said before assessing the race.

Feeling buoyant I clocked the first 5km at 16:33. Brilliant. If I kept clipping them off like this, I'd be fine. I could see Kev maybe 50 yards ahead, and drew strength from this as I knew what he wanted from the race, and from this distance behind I could be sure I was running well. However, it was blustery and I was taking those gusts without any shelter.

Maybe around 8-9km a group formed around me comprising two blokes I'd caught, and maybe five that had moved up to me. This would almost set the scene for my race, as I was able to let these boys take the wind as I sat at the back of the group and let them do all the donkey work.

In that group was Spanish, Italians for sure, maybe a Dutchman and a fairly aggressive bloke who started shouting when one of the others clipped his heel at a drink station. I sat off the back, occasionally moving alongside naturally before realising and pulling in behind. When I left the sanctuary of their shelter the effort increased slightly, so I pulled back in and felt like I was checking my natural urge to push on. "Fine" I thought. This is the marathon, and like Troopy had warned me beforehand on twitter - "Patience first half, desire second half".

The next two 5km splits were 16:32 and 16:42 - perfect! The race was just passing along nicely. However, I could see Kev up ahead starting to come back to us. He was taking the wind alone and I willed us up alongside him and moved to the front of the group at about 20km (after a 16:49 5km split).

Half way came in around 70:20, maybe a few seconds quicker. Shortly after we moved up to Kev and I was relieved to get a familiar face into the group as we moved onto the business end of the race. "Kev, get on this group and let them take the wind". We exchanged a few more words as we let these guys take us through 25km (17:03 - but a more blustery split).

I was taking water at every water station, just a couple of gulps, no more. The organisers were giving the water to us in cups with a sponge tucked in the top to prevent it going everywhere. An excellent idea.


At 25km Kev was blocked from getting a cup so I was able to pass some over to him. From here to 30km the group started to splinter, as a few bodies dropped away. Me and Kev seemed to be going strong leading to 30km, where I pulled my one and only gel from my shorts and sent the big glob of syrup down my neck before washing it down with a mouthful of water at 30km, which we hit after facing a bit more wind as the group had petered out, and thus our wind-breaker was gone (17:07).

Kev, fresh from an energy intake of his own, started to move away at this point, and he looked strong. I was maintaining my pace but he had put 50 metres on me over 2km. I thought he was on a Antonio Pinto-style surge to the finish. However, we were back alongside one another at 35km (17:03) before he started to move away again.

I was feeling good, as good as you could expect at 35km in a marathon. My mind and legs were in good shape. I was having to grind it out a bit more, but there was no alarming slowing, just a slight tapering off. I had a grasp of the splits and was able to calculate my finishing time fairly approximately. My PB was indeed under threat, but it'd be close.

The 5km to 40km was 17:23 and I knew the last 2.2km was going to be around 7:30. I started to try and keep the pace up because there was the carrot of a lifetime best for me up the road. It'd have to be very swift though, my fastest ever finish to a marathon by some distance.

That last 5km was so rewarding, I was working hard but not hurting. I kept trying to tell myself that I train all year round to be in this very position, the final stages of a strong marathon performance. Relish it because it doesn't happen often.

As I entered the final run-in the clock was ticking away at 2:22 and I saw the PB come and go with about 100 yards of running left. I crossed the line at 2:22'52 with a little raised arm and a lot of satisfaction.

Honestly, I've never finished a marathon anything like as fresh as this one. I really felt like I'd run a half marathon rather than the full version. My build up to the race had been ideal. I'd set myself a goal to race it properly, and do the England vest I'd been given last year some honour. Sometimes in life it's good to be proud of yourself, and I'm proud of this. I was on my arse after Toronto. Six months later I nearly eclipsed my PB again.

After the race a lot of talk was of the wind and its effect on times. My opinion is that the first two finishers ran inside 2:05. The winning female did 2:18. The wind was worth seconds, no doubt. But no more than that. I may well have run a PB without the wind, but I may also have pushed on past the group I was with at 15km and paid the price at 30km. Troop's words of patience rang in my ears at that point.


What is clear to me is that Rotterdam is a brilliant marathon for guys of my capability. You have loads of company for the race, no big gaps. I was 45th and from 2:10 there was a constant flow of runners. I'm very pleased indeed that I chose Rotterdam.

I spent a few hours at Schipol Airport nursing some ice cold Heineken waiting for my flight back to Luton. Certainly the Marathon is the most rewarding of all distances because it can go so wrong, so you appreciate it so much when it goes right. Especially with a well earned glass of ice cold lager in your hand.

At the moment - no solid plans for the rest of the year. Just two weeks of no running to let the legs and mind recover. I made a mistake last year of training too soon after London and by late summer I was a wreck.

5km splits : 16:33, 16:32, 16:42, 16:49, 17:03, 17:07, 17:03, 17:23 last 2.2km 7:37
Half way : 70:21

Full results here